Celebrations in Florida
United Sportmen of Florida reports (via email) their celebration as Gov. Bush signed six favorable measures yesterday. The statutes:
1. Makes it easy to register to vote while getting a hunting or fishing license.
2. No net loss of hunting lands. Any public land closed to hunting after this date must be offset by other land opened.
3. No confiscation of guns during an emergency
4. CCW records no longer public records.
5. Repeals old statutes banning guns in National Parks (I guess there was a state statute doing this) and in state parks. (No one was following the law, indeed there were public shooting ranges on the state parks, but might as well clean it up).
6. Provides that if a serviceman or servicewoman is on duty overseas, their CCW permit is extended until they return and can update it.
Mighty good for one day, or one legislative season!
UPDATE: Alphecca covers the story, with a roundup on media coverage,
Man, Florida is on a roll!
Posted by: Reason at June 12, 2006 08:24 AM
Thanks to Marion Hammer USF, Florida is a bellweather satate for the gun right moovemen. Even though Fl has now been Balkanized. The Conservative Cuban,subculture exists in So Fl., Liberal NY City culture in South East Fla.( The ones who did not know how to vote 6 years ago.) Conservative Mid Westeners are in So West Fla. Liberal Puerto Rican Hispanic Americans are in Mouse Town and Native Floridians basically north of Orlando, the Conservative base.
Still we have been able to Spearhead for the country, Concealed Carry,Eddy Eagle, Range Noise Protection (now in 49 states in some form or other), Range Best Management Practices.(provides protection against 3rd party complaints), and The Castle Doctrine wher you do not have to retreat from your castle you can defend from where you are.
The rest of the country needs to emulate what Florida has done.
Posted by: Clark Vargas at September 25, 2006 10:41 AM